- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbs finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic clove s, minced
- 3 tbs brandy
- 3 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple (from 1 apple)
- 30 white mushrooms, stems trimmed and cleaned
- 6 tbs butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Carefully separate stems from mushroom caps. Place caps, gill side up, on rimmed baking pan. Coarsely chop stems; set aside. Stir together butter, and brandy and pour into mushroom caps. Sprinkle caps with 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast 15 minutes; remove from oven and let cool. Pour out and discard any liquid remaining in caps and on rimmed baking pan. Return caps, gill side up, to rimmed baking pan.
2. Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium-low heat 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
3. In large skillet, cook bacon over low heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool. Discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat. Coarsely chop bacon; set aside.
4. Add garlic, and onion to pan with bacon fat. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add chopped mushroom stems and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until most of the moisture has evaporated. Stir in apple; cook 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
5. Stir remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, pine nuts, bacon, breadcrumbs, ¼ cup Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, and thyme into apple mixture. Stuff mushrooms with filling and top with remaining ¼ cup Cheddar cheese. Bake 5 minutes or just until mushrooms are heated through.