- 1 32 oz. jat sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 large apple, cored and cubed
- 1 salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 12 bratwurst
- 2 tbs brown sugar
1. In a large saucepan, simmer sauerkraut with applesauce and apple juice for 20 minutes.
2. In a large deep skillet, heat butter over medium heat; add onions and saute, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar and cook for 5 more minutes. The onions should be caramelized. Add apple pieces and saute for 5 more minutes until apples are just tender. Add to sauerkraut along with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
3. Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over fire, turning until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160° F.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Pork Board, http://www.porkbeinspired.com