- - salt and pepper
- 1 pkg dried bean soup mix (12-14 oz.) with seasoning packet (not quick cooking)
- 1 can (14-14.5 oz.) beef broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onion
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 pound s beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cup s frozen diced or hash-brown potatoes (optional)
1. Soak beans in water overnight in refrigerator according to package directions. Reserve seasoning packet.
2. Coat beef with seasoning from reserved packet. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/3 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat twice with remaining oil and beef, adding additional oil as needed.
3. Pour off dripping; return beef to stockpot. Drain beans, discard water. Add beans, tomatoes and beef broth to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
4. Stir in potatoes, if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Total recipe time: 2-1/4 hours to 3 hours
Recipe & photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff, http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com